Monday, February 11, 2008

Book Review 3


My Third book was one I began while I was in Pocatello. Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe. I have already given it away, so can not go into too many details with names and such. This was a compelling book in some ways, I can see why it is still a very controversial book. Although it points out the evil of slavery(moral, physical, etc.) it also treats the slaves ( or the slave population) as a bunch of children that need direction. Tom was one that embraced Christianity and touched the lives of a family he is sold to, the St. Clairs. He has the simple faith that I admire. He shows great love for those around him, no matter his circumstances. I see a great good vs. evil in this book with the evil of slavery juxtaposed with the love of Christ as manifested by Tom. There are 2 different story lines that I followed. Tom and the young couple who escaped, Eliza, George and their son. I do, however, have to admit that there were pages that I skimmed and pages that I completely skipped because they were sooooo wordy. When she started her explanations about the evils of slavery, I read it once but could not read it over and over. This was a point that she made very often in her writing of the action of the book. There were two points in the book where characters made very long speeches about it.


One of the most disturbing things about this book was the actions of Tom's original owner, who, because he was in debt and had property, had to sell property. He chose his most trusted slave, Tom, who had a family of his own and Eliza's child. So although Tom was a trusted and valued member of the household, in the end he was still property. So although gentlemen slaveholders wanted to think they were better than men such as Simon LeGree, they weren't.


This was a serialized book, released a chapter at a time and so I thought there was lots of details. Her writing style reminds me of Charles Dickens.


I am glad that I have finally read this book, more to say that I have (I can check it off my list)than because I enjoyed it. I would recommend it as a small way to gain knowledge of the slave trade and plantation life. I have begun reading another book which I believe will be a more through examination of the topic Slaves In The Family by Edward Ball.

1 comment:

Brooke said...

I read Uncle Tom's Cabin in my Honors English class in high school. I had a hard time reading all the dialogue because of the language. I found myself reading outloud because I couldn't "hear" the language in my head...it was too foreign to me.